Friday, August 13, 2010

Slow Dancing in a Burning Room

I have a photography project due next week (Gasp!) and it has to show symbolism and abstract and since I have been listening to John Mayer (only the last 6 months or so) I am always picturing photos in the songs- especially “Slow Dancing in a Burning Room”. So I’ve decided to do my project based on the song. I got out of a “burning room” relationship a year ago and it was the most freeing thing. Some people have said horrible things about me as if falling out of love didn’t make me feel bad enough. For someone who has never experienced it here’s a little description:

He was my best friend and more. I was completely consumed with my love for him and KNEW that we would be together forever. He brought out the best in me and vice verse. I could tell him anything and he always knew how to make me feel better and he always had my back. I would have done anything for this person. We shared secrets that I would forget I knew because I would have never betrayed him. He’s devastated me so badly that I’ve cried painfully; sobbing on the ground where I thought I would die. He’s made me laugh harder than anyone and made me happier than I ever thought I would be. He really accepted me for the person I was (sometimes I think he’s the only person who could)…

And then somehow it stopped. The two people who were madly in love changed… not the love, I suppose, because to this day I can still feel the love for the person he was and I suppose from a place that I used to be. But circumstances changed somehow between moving and having only each other and less friend time and more “home” time in a place where he was the only person I had and maybe I depended on him or resented him and then he no longer had my back and I was just no longer consumed by him and he no longer accepted the person I was although he claimed to still love me and I just wanted my best friend back and it wasn’t happening. I was pulling away and searching for the things I was missing and it was the burning room that was consuming us. I’m grateful he had the strength to say goodbye because I am not sure I could have initiated the end of us. Maybe I would have let us burn. Maybe he saved us just in time.
To this day sometimes I miss him so much and I need a reminder why we’re not together and why I shouldn’t call him and tell him how much I miss him.

I think that too many people stay in these relationships for too long. I’m at a point now where I am not interested in wasting time. I’m not going to be with someone who is just ok. I could have lived the rest of my life with this person being ok… but it’s just not good enough. I understand as much as the next girl that saying goodbye to someone you have spent so much time and shared so many great memories with is hard and you have to adjust to being alone but isn’t it worth it?

I’d rather be alone and have the opportunity to meet someone fantastic than be in a relationship that is lacking.

Is this unreasonable? Honestly… I’d like to know what other people think

1 comment:

  1. That is not unreasonable - that is common sense. Sadly too many people feel the need to rush into a relationship because they can't be alone. The thing about being alone is that you get a chance to figure out who you really are and that's generally when a relationship works best - both people knowing who they are and accepting each other for that.

    Did that make sense? I'm really sleepy today.

    ReplyDelete